Criminal Threats Attorney in Sacramento, CA
According to California law, a criminal threat is defined asthreatening to kill or cause great bodily injury to someone if any of the following apply:
- The person is reasonably afraid for their safety or the safety of their immediate family
- The threat is so specific and unequivocal as to give gravity of purpose and an immediate prospect of execution
- The threat is communicated either verbally, in writing or via an electronic device
You can be charged for a criminal threat regardless of whether or not you actually intend to make good on the threat, and regardless of whether or not you have the means to actually carry out the threat.
Fighting a charge for a criminal threat requires the expertise of a skilled defense lawyer who is knowledgeable about criminal threats law in the state of California.
A qualified and capable attorney knows what questions to ask and what strategies the prosecution will use to get a guilty verdict. She will know how best to counter them.
Defense Strategies For Criminal Threats
A sound defense against criminal threat charges involves looking at all facets of the case and all possible scenarios. There are many possible defense strategies against criminal threat charges, and Jennifer Mouzis will consider how these strategies can be applied to your case.
- No threat actually took place and the accuser is making false allegations
- The threat was vague or unclear
- It is implausible that the accuser would be reasonably afraid for their safety or the safety of their immediate family because of the threat
If you’ve been charged with a criminal threat, the first step you need to take is to meet with an experienced criminal defense lawyer for a consultation on your case.